Gas Lamp Refurbishment - Rose Bank Gardens
Gas Lamp Refurbishment - Rose Bank GardensGas Lamp looking out from Rose Banks Gardens towards the Priory Church...

Gas Lamps

Malvern's Gas Lamps

 

Malvern Town Council has been refurbishing the town's historic gas lamps since 2011, in partnership with Sight Designs of West Malvern, and Transition Malvern Hills. The refurbishment project has reduced energy usage and maintenance costs whilst at the same time increasing light intensity. The Town Council's Operations Team are now trained to maintain the lamps, thereby reducing the running costs further.

It is expected that costs will be reduced by up to 50% following complete refurbishment.  There is a total of 109 gas lamps in the local area, owned by four different Councils including Malvern Town Council; Malvern Hills District Council, Malvern Wells Parish Council, and West Malvern Parish Council.

The gas lamps are an important part of Malvern's history, and are believed to have inspired elements of the 'Chronicles of Narnia' novels by C. S. Lewis. Legend states that, after drinking in a Malvern pub (believed to be The Unicorn, on the corner of Belle Vue Terrace/Worcester Road and St Anne's Road) one winter evening, Lewis and a group of friends were walking home when it started to snow. They saw a lamp post shining out through the snow and Lewis turned to his friends and said "that would make a very nice opening line to a book". The novel The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe later used that image as the characters enter the realm of Narnia.

   

 

For further information on gas lamps please contact Malvern Town Council on 01684 566 667.

Malvern Town Council
  • 28-30 Belle Vue Terrace
    Malvern
    Worcestershire
    WR14 4PZ.
  • T: +44 (0)1684 566667
    F: +44 (0)1684 572572
Useful Links