The Town Council was recently contacted by a group of volunteers, seeking permission to restore a memorial on one of the graves in Great Malvern Cemetery, situated off Madresfield Road.
The cemetery is fifteen acres in total having been extended in 2017 when Bishop Michael Hooper, on behalf of the Bishop of Worcester, consecrated a further section of three acres. It is divided into two parts – pre and post 1950 – and contains approximately fifteen thousand seven hundred graves.
In 2002 Great Malvern Cemetery was subject to a nationwide health and safety inspection regarding the safety of headstones and the possible injuries that may have resulted if a headstone had failed.
All headstones were tested, and the decision was taken by the council at the time to lay down the larger memorials and stake the small lawn grave memorials in Great Malvern Cemetery, if they failed the safety test.
One of these was a memorial to Captain Alan Charles Lorraine Bate of the Royal Garrison Artillery, who died aged just 25 years on 25 October 1918. The memorial consists of a large cross on three large plinth stones hence the decision at that time to lay the cross down.
The Town Council first had to trace any living relatives of Captain Bate to gain their permission for the restoration to take place. Once this was in place, the group, who restore military graves around the country, got to work and refixed the cross in position, clearing leaves from the base of the grave and laying new gravel. The photographs below show what an excellent job they have made of restoring Captain Bate’s grave.
The cemetery has many graves of note, and regular guided tours of the cemetery are held during the year.